1. In a standing position , experience how we were taught to hold our bodies: the shoulders are pushed back, the chest is pushed out , the belly is "tucked in," and the buttocks are tightened. from this posture, try to take a good long, deep breath !! Of course, you can't !
2. Now close your eyes and simply "drop the belly". let it hang out !! Don't worry about what it looks like. Simply let it go.This dropping naturally helps the shoulders to fall and the buttocks to relax. And now you are able to take in a deep breath !!! You can use the Lamaze stroking method to help relax the belly. Just experience what the belly feels like when it isn't being held in.( Look at very small children. Their bellies are naturally in the relaxed position !!)
3. Once the belly is dropped, then drop into the belly- into what the Japanese call the "hara"- two inches below the navel. This area can be more easily accessed by placing both hands there, and gently pulsating it with your fingers.
4. One of the easiest ways to get the feeling of the hara, and to breathe through it, is to do some vigorous dancing. Then Stop !! Feel the breath in the belly... the energy flowing there. Feel the feet grounded on the floor.Experience the belly muscles, the shoulders, and then drop into the belly.
5. Then move into any activity...